Friday 5 October 2018

Before the build

I took a look at the assembly manual and it seems well laid out and easy to follow. There are LOTS of steps, this is going to take many hours to assemble, but it seems well documented. Repeated in various places is the message that you are not on your own with email, website and live chat and a forum all available. There is also a full, up-to-date manual on the Prusa website. The printed manual I have includes an update sheet that means I need to check the website version for sections 5 & 8 because the parts supplied have been changed since the manual was printed. I haven't read it cover to cover in detail yet, but I will read each section completely before I start any assembly. I'm really looking forward to the assembly in its own right.

I opened all of the boxes to see what they hold. It looks like a lot of parts. Most are in bags and each bag or box has a clearly printed label on it. Each label has a number on it to indicate which section of the assembly manual the contents get used in. I should be able to lay out the parts needed for each part of the build which should make finding each part easier, which helps when there's so many parts.

The plastic connector parts are all 3D printed, of course. I chose black parts, orange was an option. There is a bag of spares with one of each kind of bolt, nut and so on, just in case.  The first section of the manual is an introduction then the second is about assembling the Y-axis mechanism. It is 33 pages long, so I'm going to read it carefully and find all of the parts mentioned before I assemble anything.

Below are are the box contents spread out, but I intend to revisit the sections as I assemble them.
Aluminium framework, the heated bed and the print bed

Aluminium extrusions and plates

Steel rods and sleeves

Motors

3D-printed plastic parts

Power supply

Tools, fixings, belts, tie wraps and an LCD display 

Various premade parts, circuit boards, the extruder, fans and cables

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.

I have decided, regrettably, to review comments before they are published to ensure that offensive or inappropriate comments do not get shown.

Genuine comments are always welcome and will be published as quickly as possible.